Saturday, November 04, 2006

WorldVision India

Today I received a mailer from an entity calling itself WorldVision. They were asking for money to sponsor a child. About Rs. 20/- a day. Not a large amount. Most middle class families can afford it.

I contribute to CRY every year. My little help-others-in-need program.

The WorldVision mailer and website almost made me reach for my cheque book. Then I arrested the movement and threw the mailer in the trash. Why? because of this:

Who We Are...

"World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organisation working to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities living in poverty and injustice."

Christian.

Somewhere on their website the organization claims to have no religious affiliation or preference. But they call themselves a Christian organization.

Why?

Drop that word and I will help. Retain it and you will get nothing from me, a Hindu Brahmin who is tired of the Christians and their so called humanitarian work.

The true humanitarian does not need a religious label.

No comments: