Friday, August 03, 2007

File Locked or Cannot Remove USB Device? Unlock It!

Most Windows users must be familiar with this dialog box.

Or with this one...


Most of the time I can figure out which software has locked the file or folder. But sometimes it is not obvious and can get very frustrating. Particularly when I am trying to shutdown and want to eject the portable hard disk or USB thumb drive and Windows just won't let me.

Happened to me yesterday. I was in a hurry to leave and my portable hard disk was attached to the laptop. I shutdown all software running of the hard disk but Windows just would not eject the device. Damn!

I remember cursing Windows while I wished for an application just like Unlocker! Found it on the Freeware Genius blog this morning, quite by accident. Downloaded and installed it right away!

Ah! I am a happy man now.

No comments: