Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Problem with InstallShield Multi-platform Installer Wizard with Java 1.5.x

I downloaded the JWSDP 2.0 (Java Web Services Developer Kit) installer from Sun's web site today. Also Sun's AppServer. Both these products use InstallShield's Multi Platform installer and both had problems on my laptop. Both the installers found my JDK 1.5 directory and displayed the installer wizard. At this time however the UI is frezee. No mouse clicks registered. Only the Enter key seems to work and that triggers the defailt dialog button. No radio box selections etc.

I am not sure why this is happening. A Google threw up bug reports, a few forum posts but no resolution. Pretty frustrating!

Then I decided to try from the command line. I had no clue that InstallShield had a command line option. On a hunch, I opened a command prompt, Cd'ed to the folder containing the installer and typed it at the prompt with a -help & a /help. Well I ended up with the command line usage instructions. After that I had to do a text only installation. Worked like a breeze! Takes some getting used to but the damn thing works!

I then tried the same thing with the AppServer installer and that worked too! So, the next time you have InstallShield freeze up on you, try the command line!

(Posted via Thinga Web)

No comments: