Monday, April 17, 2006

Indian Railways Web Site

Today I visited the Indian Railways web site to look up berth availability on a train from Bhubaneswar to Hyderabad. The web site itself is pretty stupid but it works, at least most of the time. Anyway, I found the information I was looking for and then spent some time lookin at emails. I had left the railways page open in a FireFox tab. I came back to it with the intention of closing the tab and somehow pressed the Ctrl key. Guess what happened? I got a message box saying "Sorry, you do not have permission to press this key."

Sorry, you do not have permission to press this key
(click to see full size image)

Who designs these things? The Indian railways has done a good job in getting the ticket reservation, seat availability, ticket tracking and other functionality online. They also have e-tickets that you can print out and carry (with photo ID) instead of the normal paper ticket. But their web sites suck. There are too many advertisements. The layout and navigation sucks. And the error messages are funny to say the least. At least after you get over the initial shock!

In this case I suppose somebody is trying to be clever and prevent users from viewing the HTML code or something like that.

(Update - 8.53 pm)

I am not able to get the message box again! Tried a number of times but it hasn't happened again. Luckily I took a screen shot the first time!

No comments: