Thursday, December 14, 2006

Rs. 50/- Helmet Problem - Latest RTA (AP) Stupidity

I bought a Honda Activa for my wife yesterday. She uses an old Kinetic Honda to commute to work and the poor thing is on it's last gasp.

I picked up the cash to pay for the scooter and drove down to Pratul Honda in Raj Bhavan Road, Somajiguda, Hyderabad. Half way through the process of selecting the accessories and figuring out how much I owe the dealer, the lady who was working on my case called over another gentleman to explain the Rs. 50/- Helmet Problem.

This person sat down next to me and started talking about helmets and how they save lives. I heard him out for a few minutes and then told him that we always use helmets. Both Padmaja and I own helmets and don't drive the two wheelers (a scooter & a motorcycle) without helmets.

Well that didn't solve the problem. This gentleman then started talking about how I have to pay Rs. 50/- because a helmet is compulsory. Come again I asked. I already have a helmet. Why should I pay you 50 bucks?

Well, the money is for them to produce a false helmet receipt to the tune of Rs. 400/-. Yes, he actually told me that he would prepare a FALSE receipt if I pay him the 50 bucks.

And why do I need one? Because RTA, Hyderabad will not register my new scooter if I don't buy a helmet!

Yes that is right. They will not register your new two wheeler if you don't buy a helmet! Even if you already own a helmet!

I know the people who run governments in India are abysmally stupid but this takes the cake. The rider needs a helmet and as per the government's rules all riders must wear a helmet. Fine. Good. Excellent. But why must I buy a helmet for every two wheeler I own? The helmet is for my head and not for the two wheeler, you fools.

Well I refused to pay up. I have always been a sucker in these things. I see something stupid or somebody trying to squeeze money out of me for no logic or rhyme and I dig my heels in and say No! This foolishness on my part has landed my in delicate positions before but I refuse to give in to stupidity and cupidity.

3 comments:

K said...

This is really funny and stupid... a better solution would be direct the auto dealer to make the person buying the vehicle to "declare" whether he/she has a helmet or not.. If later on the person is ever found driving without vehicle, then strict action can be taken based on whether he lied :-) .... but its tougher said than done :-)

K said...

typo error: driving with helmet (and not vehicle) :-)

Gautam Satpathy said...

I agree. But we are dealing with the govt here :-)

Anyway, I haven't taken the scooter for registration yet. Plan to do that next week. let's see what happens then :-)