Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows - Fan Fiction

Last week I found two copies of Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows on the net. One of them had  (Leaked) as part of the file name. Knowing the kind of security Rowling and her publishers have around each new release, I was fairly sure that these were examples of Fan Fiction that have appeared on the net every now and then. I was curious enough to download both and transfer them to my mobile phone (Symbian OS with Handy Book reader).

The first one turned out to be an incomplete copy. The last 2 - 3 chapters are missing. I didn't realize this till I reached the end because I never read the end first :-) Anyway, I enjoyed reading the book, whatever was there of it.

I started the second book yesterday and it is better than the first one. Still not up to Rowling's standards but very good nevertheless.

I have uploaded copies of the two books to my web site.

  1. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows - Fan Fiction 1 (Incomplete)
  2. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows - Fan Fiction 2

Neither of the copies has any author information (obviously since they are trying to pass it off as a leaked copy).

This is the first time I am trying Fan Fiction and I must say I am enjoying myself. The style is close enough to the original to leave the reader guessing. At the same time there are differences from Rowling's style that give the game away.

In parting I must say that whoever wrote these has done their homework. There are a few mistakes that Potter fans will immediately find but the level of detail shows how much effort has gone into these productions.

Lets see what Rowling has for us. I, like most Potter fans, am getting rather tired of looking at the calendar everyday :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried reading one o' these a while ago and somehow didn't enjoy it at all - there's something about knowing Potter thru JKR than thru someone else! But then, maybe that's just me! :-)

And yes, one is sick and tired of seeing the calendar :-(

Tanushree said...

I've started reading the second one, and I find it quite gripping. Quite believable. Thanks for posting this Gautam.

@Priya: You know, when I was reading Book 6, I had the feeling all thru that I was reading badly-written fanfiction. The book was so different from the style and content that JKR had delivered in, say Prisoner of Azkaban, that it felt it had been ghost-written! I couldn't believe that I had waited three years for this!!! Later I found out that there were many, many people who felt the same way.

Let's hope that book 7 does not turn out to be like Matrix 3, leaving you with a sense of "WTF???"